✅ Fact-checked    


Turkish offensive in Syria: NATO and the European Union turned to Erdogan



Stoltenberg and Junker urges Ankara to exercise restraint and not undermine the situation



Photo: Reuters


NATO and the European Union are concerned about Turkey’s military operation in Syria and are calling on Ankara to stop bombing the border areas of a neighboring state.





In particular, the Secretary-General of the North Atlantic Alliance, Jens Stoltenberg, recognizing Turkey the right to have “legitimate security concerns,” called on the country's authorities to avoid destabilizing the situation in the region.

“I hope that Turkey will act with restraint and ensure that the successes we have achieved in the fight against ISIS are not jeopardized,” he said on October 9.

According to him, Ankara informed NATO about the course of the military operation. Stoltenberg expressed confidence that Operation Source of Peace would be “moderate and proportional.”

On October 11, he is going to visit the Turkish capital, where he will discuss the current situation with President Recep Erdogan.

At the same time, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker openly called on Erdogan to stop the military operation in Syria.

“I urge Turkey and other participants to act with restraint and stop the operations that, as we speak, are already underway,” he said, speaking in the European Parliament.

According to him, the Turkish intervention will only aggravate the situation of the Syrians, while the EU is not going to pay for the maintenance of the “security zone” in Syria.

Recall that Iran also called on the Turkish leadership to reconsider its position on Syria and began unscheduled military maneuvers near the Turkish border.

Note that the Pentagon previously informed President Donald Trump that the territory of Syria has been completely freed from the militants of the Islamic State terrorist group.



Views: 251


Add a comment!