Italian specialists from the independent medical foundation GIMBE, which monitors the situation with COVID-19, came to the conclusion that Italy is being covered by the fourth wave of coronavirus infection. This is reported by the local newspaper Corriere Della Sera.
According to the foundation, from July 21 to 27, an increase in the number of deaths from the consequences of COVID-19 infection was recorded in Italy. Before that, for 15 consecutive weeks, this indicator in the state was declining.
Also, last week, an increase in cases of coronavirus infection was recorded by 64% (31,963 compared to 19,390 the week before).
In addition, the number of patients in intensive care wards of Italian hospitals increased by 14.5%.
However, at the same time, the load on Italian hospitals remains insignificant today, the report says.
Earlier, the official representative of the French government, Gabriel Attal, said that the fourth wave of a new coronavirus infection had spread throughout France.