Belarus has disowned the data, which had previously been confirmed by the UN, about four people killed during the protests in the republic. The press secretary of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Belarus said that the department did not confirm such information to the UN.
At the same time, earlier the official representative of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) of the UN, Elizabeth Throssell, said that the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Belarus had confirmed the death of four people during the protests.
вЂњMy colleagues have informed me that the Ministry of the Interior has separately confirmed four deaths,вЂќ she said, adding that OHCHR had asked to investigate the deaths.
Earlier, the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Belarus reported hundreds of statements about the disappearance of people. Since the day of the presidential elections in Belarus, which took place on August 9, citizens of the country have filed hundreds of complaints with the police about the disappearance of relatives and friends, the ministry said.
Protests in Belarus continue for the second week. People demand to cancel the election results, according to which Alyaksandr Lukashenko won, to dismiss the old leadership and hold new elections, as well as to bring the security officials to account for the brutal dispersal of rallies in the first days.