About 340 people became ill with salmonella in seven regions of Canada, where there was an outbreak of this intestinal infection. This was reported on Saturday by the CBC TV channel with reference to the Canadian Ministry of health.
At the moment, no deaths have been recorded, 48 people have been hospitalized. The most affected area in the Western Canadian provinces of Alberta (208 people) and British Columbia (78).
The source of infection was the products of an American company that supplies onions to Canada. It has already been established that people became infected both after cooking at home and after visiting restaurants. The company's products are being recalled from stores.
Salmonellosis is an acute intestinal infection of animals and humans caused by the bacterium Salmonella. It is characterized by the development of intoxication and damage to the gastrointestinal tract. With a severe course of the disease, dehydration, enlargement of the liver and spleen are observed. Possible development of kidney failure.